SWEDEN - APPROACH AND FUNDING FLOWS
The overall aim of Sweden’s international development cooperation is to create conditions enabling those who live in poverty to improve their living conditions. The Swedish policy for global development is based on three basic values: 1) democracy and human rights, 2) gender equality and the role of women in development, and 3) climate and environment. Within these main priority areas, and in agreement with the framework of the UN Millennium Development Goals (MDGs), the Swedish government has identified five areas of particular focus, namely: sustainable use of natural resources and environmental concern (including agriculture), economic growth, social development and security (including global health), conflict management, and global public goods.
According to preliminary OECD Development Assistance Committee (OECD DAC) figures, Sweden was the 5th largest European government donor in 2012, with US$5.2 billion (SEK 35.5 billion) provided in net ODA (in current prices). This is a real-term decrease of 3.4% compared to 2011. With net ODA at 0.99% of GNI in 2012 (down from 1.02% in 2011), Sweden has the second highest share (after Luxembourg) among all members of the OECD DAC and has been exceeding the UN target of 0.7% since 1975. The government is committed to maintaining an ODA share of at least 1.0% and current budget projections confirm this, as ODA is expected to increase to US$5.8 billion (SEK 38.2 billion, corresponding to 1% of GNI) in 2013.
8.7% of Sweden’s net ODA in 2011 was for refugees in Sweden, and 8.6% for administrative costs, debt relief and development awareness. Combined, these amount to 17.3%, which is above the OECD DAC country average of 11.2%. Unlike some other donor countries, Sweden does not report imputed costs for foreign students studying in Sweden as ODA.
Since April 2010, data on Swedish spending on development assistance has been publicly available on Open Aid (openaid.se), a website launched by the Swedish Ministry for Foreign Affairs and the Swedish International Development Cooperation Agency (Sida), with the aim to increase the transparency and public control of Swedish aid. Based on government documents, the website presents detailed information on Swedish aid contributions by areas and actors.
More information on: Bilateral and multilateral funding
the Sweden profile.