Italian NGOs publish open letter criticizing disengagement from international cooperation
On August 4, 2019, the three biggest Italian NGO networks AOI, CINI, and Link 2007 published an open letter addressed to the minister and the vice minister of foreign affairs and international cooperation, Enzo Moavero Milanesi and Emanuela Del Re. The CSOs denounced Italian disengagement in international cooperation and ask Moavero Milanesi and Del Re to act before it is too late. Their letter drew attention to and criticized the following points:
- The delay in staff recruitment for the Italian Agency for Development Cooperation (AICS); many key positions are still vacant.
- The postponement of the call for proposals on Global Citizenship Education for 2019.
- The functioning of the National Council for Development Cooperation, which they recommend improving through regular convocation, increased contributions from working groups, and expansion of representation.
- The decrease of resources for NGOs leading projects on international cooperation from €70 to €26.4 million.
- The increasing militarization of development funding that couples development initiatives with security priorities.