Italian Council of Ministries approves 2019-2021 cooperation guidelines

The Italian Council of Ministries approved the new triennial guidelines document for 2019-2021. The document outlined Italy's cooperation priorities for the coming years; 75% of Italian cooperation resources will be focused on the priority areas given in the document. The remaining 25% will go toward other sectors and debt treatment operations.

The identified priorities are:

  • Food security and nutrition;
  • Health (including health system strengthening, the fight against pandemics, access to immunization, and noncommunicable diseases);
  • Education;
  • Cultural cooperation and protection of cultural heritage;
  • Migration (including strengthening and promoting the social, economic, and political inclusion of all, and facilitating orderly, safe, regular, and responsible migration and mobility of people);
  • Protection of the environment (including management of natural resources, and the fight against climate change);
  • Inclusive and sustainable growth;
  • Fighting against all kind of discrimination;
  • Supporting efforts to promote conflict resolution through peace processes; and
  • Supporting the global partnership for sustainable development.

The document also identified the 22 priority countries for Italian cooperation, given by region:

  • Africa: Egypt, Tunisia, Ethiopia, Kenya, Somalia, Sudan, South Sudan, Burkina Faso, Niger, Senegal, and Mozambique;
  • Middle East:  Jordan, Iraq, Lebanon, and Palestine;
  • Balkans: Albania and Bosnia;
  • Latin America: Cuba and El Salvador; and
  • Asia: Afghanistan, Myanmar, and Pakistan.

Triannual Guideline Document - Italian Ministry of Foreign Affairs and International Cooperation