On November 10, 2020, Spanish Prime Minister Pedro Sánchez hosted a high-level meeting in Madrid to commemorate the 75th Anniversary of the UN. The UN Secretary-General, Antonio Guterres, and heads of state and government from Sweden, Canada, South Korea, Costa Rica, South Africa, New Zealand, Bangladesh, Tunisia, Jordan, and Senegal virtually participated in this event.
This group of donor and partner countries convened to publish the call to action ‘Joint Statement: Reinforcing Multilateralism Together', with the ambition of reinforcing multilateral institutions, advancing the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development, and taking concrete measures to address global challenges in key areas such as global health, climate change, gender equality, and digitalization.
This initiative will be shared with other countries to actively mobilize the international community around the following goals:
- Reduce inequality and leave no one behind;
- Improve conditions for health, health preparedness, and effectiveness of global health systems;
- Protect our planet;
- Promote peace, security, and justice;
- Defend human rights, democracy, and gender equality;
- Take "advantage of the digital revolution"; and
- Ensure sustainable financing.